Managing Your Wellbeing by Elizabeth Neathey

When we talk about well-being it is likely to be reflecting the experiences over the last two years following the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. Children, young people and adults have experienced conditions such as anxiety, stress, overwhelm, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. 


1. Walking

I really enjoy walking. I walk 360 days a year! The walks vary from going to and from the office in the centre of Nottingham to walks around my locality or going to places both new and familiar to take in the scenery. I find the process of walking relaxing, as it helps with my breathing and keeps me fit. It focuses my attention on the here and now, listening to bird song, the sounds of movement and watching. My river walks are guaranteed to make me smile as I listen to the ducks or geese, watching them take off, fly and land. I actually find being close to water therapeutic. The sound water makes and the movement helps me to feel peaceful.




2. Photography 

I am lucky enough to have a digital camera which allows me to take high quality images. However if I am on one of my daily walks I will have my phone and will take images of birds, trees, flowers and other scenes which fill me with joy and happiness. I enjoy looking through photographs when I am indoors and unable to get out as they connect to positive memories.





3. Reading

I have really enjoyed reading from a child onwards. More recently I have discovered audio books. I can play them whilst pottering around the house or with my feet up on the sofa. I also like reading books and have rediscovered the pleasure of a physical book as opposed to reading online. It is the weight, texture, smell and movement which is enjoyable. I read novels and factual books. My latest reading list in our February 2022 newsletter included ‘The Art of Happiness’ by Claudia Hammond which is fascinating.

4. Knitting 

From a child I have knitted. I rediscovered this again over the last few years, going through old patterns and treating myself to new ones. I have been busy making scarves for friends. I have been able to practice the cable technique which was pleasing to master. What I would like to do next is to develop other crafting skills such as crochet and felting. If anyone has any top tip s on how to get started I would be delighted to hear from you.


I do hope my four wellbeing activities inspire you to go and rediscover activities which you perhaps have put to one side due to other commitments. The benefits of focused activity is incredibly powerful and helps to restore your equilibrium. I look forward to hearing about your go-to wellbeing activities.


Elizabeth Neathey

Head of Workforce Inclusion  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Harry Wheatcroft - The Year of the Roses Project