Placement review: Georgia Backhouse, Nottingham Trent University

We heard from NTU placement and history student Georgia, who reflects on her experience conducting research for us during the pandemic on sustainability in the heritage sector. 



I am currently a second-year history student at Nottingham Trent University, I was given the chance to work with Culture Syndicates on a research project as part of my degree. I worked alongside Elizabeth Neathey and other university students to complete a report focusing on sustainability in the heritage sector.

What do you feel you personally gained from this experience?

From this experience, I feel I have increased my graduate employability. The opportunity to work with Culture Syndicates linked closely to my interest in heritage and my desire to work in the sector upon graduation. This placement has given me great insight into working in the sector, it has supplied me with knowledge of the employment options available to me in this sector as well as allowing me to network with others who work in the area.

What practical skills did you develop?

My communication skills were enhanced considerably during this placement. I worked collaboratively on this project with students from both Nottingham Trent University and the University of Nottingham. We used this opportunity to communicate with each other regularly to combine our ideas and data to ensure the outcome of our research was as effective as possible. This regular communication helped not only to enhance my communication skills but also my ability to work in a team. 

How has completing it supported your university work?

During this placement, I have enhanced both my research and analytical skills. The development of these skills has helped me to improve the quality of my work for my degree. 

Is there anything you would do differently if you had the chance?

Unfortunately, due to conducting the research during the Christmas period, there were some struggles when trying to get into contact and arranging interviews with our chosen museums/heritage organisations. This hindered the quality of the report I was able to provide. Although this was mostly out of my control, I hope to have the opportunity to work with Culture Syndicates again in the future to complete this research properly.


Georgia Backhouse

MA History

Nottingham Trent University

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe