Five Minutes with Claire Roe | Routes Into Heritage Interview

We welcome Claire Roe as a guest blogger and heritage professional, with an interview about her exciting experience and career so far through drama and teaching as she now undergoes her PhD on Heritage and Tourism at the University of Derby.

                                        Image credit: Lorraine Mannion


Tell us a little about yourself and your background.


Currently, I am in my second year of PhD study at the University of Derby, where I am focussing on Heritage and Tourism in the Derwent Valley. So far, I am loving the PhD journey. I was born in Derbyshire and have lived most of my life here, so being able to research and hopefully make a difference in my home county feels like a real privilege.

Researching is definitely not my first job, though. I began by training to be an actress at Manchester Metropolitan University straight from school. Going to drama school was very much frowned upon at the time, but it is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made and I am so grateful that my parents were willing to support me to do it. Although I no longer act, the skills and confidence drama training gave me have been invaluable throughout my career. I think performing arts are so important; they teach you so much about yourself.

After a couple of years acting, I trained as a teacher. Initially, I worked as a Secondary School drama and English teacher. However, after a few years I became a supply teacher and transitioned into Primary teaching. I loved the variety of supply. I was welcomed by so many warm-hearted schools and met some amazing education professionals. It was the children who made it for me, though. My favourite year was Year 6 as they never failed to surprise me with their compassion and determination. They also made me laugh a lot!

However, four years ago I realised I needed a change and decided to do an MA in Public History and Heritage at the University of Derby. To say it changed my life is no exaggeration. The skills I had gained from my previous job roles just seemed to come together. I kind of felt I’d found my home in heritage. I find the intertwined identity of people and places so interesting. I believe we can learn a lot about our future by looking at our past.


Before working at Culture Syndicates what was the most unusual or interesting job you have ever had?


I think my time working as an actor in Theatre In Education has to be up there! I hate to admit this, but ‘Legz Akimbo’ from ‘The League Of Gentlemen’ was pretty accurate! I say that with affection, though; lots of it was great. We lived and rehearsed in a big old mill and had pretty much free rein to shape the shows how we liked. I’m not sure that was always a good thing! They fed us too, and the food was absolutely amazing. We never went hungry, and for actors that is saying something! We went on tour around Yorkshire and stayed in some beautiful places. However, spending all of your time with the same three people did send us all a bit stir crazy, particularly as our accommodation was usually in the middle of nowhere. It’s pretty intense being on the road. It was a great experience, but I did realise I loved home too much to be touring all of the time. Living out of a suitcase gets quite tedious.


What is your role at Culture Syndicates? – and what aspect of your role do you enjoy the most?


I am very new to Culture Syndicates, so haven’t undertaken any roles as yet. I am looking forward to the variety of opportunities and hopefully learning some new skills.


What does a typical day look like for you?


My research has mainly been conducted from home so far, particularly as I began my PhD during lockdown. Therefore, a typical day usually consists of me sitting at my laptop either reading or writing, whilst simultaneously trying to stop my cat from walking across the keyboard! I usually make time to go for a run or do some yoga, too. I always like to finish work around 5 or 6pm and go and cook something. I find that helps me switch off from work, which I think is important when working from home. To be honest, it isn’t very exciting! I do love the fact I can shape my own schedule, though, and work hours that suit me and are flexible.


What is on your wish list for the next few years with Culture Syndicates?


I think it is a very exciting time for Culture Syndicates. Just to be part of its current vision to bridge the gap between graduates and jobs within the cultural sector would be hugely exciting. Personally, I would love to be part of making that happen. I’m also excited to see what new skills I can gain through working with Culture Syndicates.


What are your hopes for our industry?


I believe the cultural industries have immense capacity to ‘hold the mirror up to nature’ and help us build more tolerant, compassionate and socially aware communities. That’s why I’m in it, really. I think some excellent work is being done right across the UK to this very end. What I would love to see is some formal recognition of this outside of the sector. I would also love to see more opportunities for artistic and heritage cultural industries to work together.


Claire Roe
Guest Blogger 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe