Five minutes with Ruth Gray Interview.

 



As Ruth leaves us for pastures new this month we decided to ask her a few questions before she goes.

 

1.       Tell us a little about yourself and your background.

Trained in textiles technology at NTU, for the first twelve years of my career I was a fashion designer working in the Lace Market in Nottingham. A chance to move to Australia with my husband’s job meant that I was suddenly living in a rural country town on the Murray River in a place called Albury Wodonga. Six years and two kids later after having ago at many different roles (including being a workplace trainer and assessor training retail apprentices, writing apprenticeship courses and running an art business) we came back to the UK and I decided I needed to upskill to be able to re-join the textile industry so I completed a degree in international fashion business but soon realised fashion had moved on and so had I. Instead, I became a self-employed artist particularly focused on heritage buildings. Utilising my business degree and co running an artists networking and business help group. But this was not enough the urge to study is always there and I was delighted to be accepted on to a Public History and Heritage MA at University of Derby and equally delighted to be employed as a freelance heritage assistant for Culture Syndicates whilst I was there.

2.       Before working at Culture Syndicates what was the most unusual or interesting job you have ever had?

I have had many roles, but I must say my first job in Australia was sweeping the floor in a hairdresser an interesting experience as having run a design room suddenly being told what to do by the Saturday girl certainly was humbling. It taught me that you must fight your way back to the top and you can not just turn up in a new town across the world expecting to be handed everything on a plate. It took hard work and networking to be accepted and a lot of leg work in the days before social media!

3.       What was your role at Culture Syndicates? – and what aspect of your role do you enjoy the most?

My role since gaining the admin position has been a varied one. It has been a support role to the Head of Projects. I am well suited to being in a support role over the years I have very much enjoyed assisting others to get things over the line and this position has been just that. Deadlines are set and we must work together to achieve them. I have particularly enjoyed the freedom to develop my own ideas and be allowed to run with them in particular the social media aspect ,researching and writing the blogs. A final report has shown we have reached nearly 60,000 people with our efforts since January.  Prior to this I was a heritage assistant and I really enjoyed the travel and the ability to work in some lovely heritage spaces and meet different types of people.

4.       What is on your wish list for the next few years with Culture Syndicates?

My wish for Culture Syndicates is that they continue with their mission to provide paid opportunities for sector entrants to gain experience in heritage and museum spaces. It is very difficult to gain those first roles and Culture Syndicates provide those vital skills that make you stand out from the crowd.

5.       What are your hopes for our industry?

The heritage sector is a varied industry and covers many areas, but I have learnt that it is extremely poorly paid for the amount of knowledge and skills that are required. Therefore, it is bias towards those that can afford to go to university and then work for little pay. If the industry is to become diverse and inclusive it must address this. So, my hopes are that business models are rethought with a more resilient commercial aspect that supports the ambitions of each organisation without compromising their integrity.

6.       Any tips for new sector entrants?

Use your social media like a CV you never know who is looking, create an account specifically that is related to the type of work you want to do and post relevant images and share relevant content to attract the people you would like to work with and for. All my opportunities have come through networking whether its online or offline. 

But the main tip is be kind to all because one day that young person on Front of House could be your boss! 

 

 Ruth Gray has a website http://ruthgrayimages.com 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe