We Welcome Head of Workforce Inclusion: Elizabeth Neathey

 


 


1. Tell us a little about yourself and your background.

I have worked for 28 years in the museums sector.  After graduating from the University of Exeter I returned to my home city of Bath where I found a job selling suitcases.  Not what I expected.  I noticed a volunteering opportunity at No1 Royal Crescent, Bath as a guide.  I applied and was soon welcomed to join the team. I learnt about the house and its contents which I shared with visitors.  The Administrator spoke to me about museum careers which made me consider options.  I applied to Nottingham Trent University and completed a postgraduate diploma in Heritage Studies.  I gained experience of museums through volunteering, at the Museum of Bath at Work and the Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution.

My first paid job was as a member of the project team at the Herbert Museum and Art Gallery in Coventry for an exhibition called Godiva City. I learnt about photographing objects and was involved in installing displays.  My first permanent job was as Assistant Curator at Chichester District Museum.  I thorough enjoyed being part of the team to create exhibitions and events and manage the collections.  I worked with amazing colleagues and volunteers to engage people with the collections. 

From here I moved to Weston-super-Mare to become Collections Officer for Social History.  I developed a team of volunteers who recorded the collections and supported the development of the annual exhibition based on different themes such as food and drink, travel and transport and cultural identity.

The project 'Then and Now - teens through the time warp' remains one of my best experiences.  I worked with a team of young people and youth workers to research and produce an exhibition on teenage life since the 1950s. Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund it received national recognition for engaging young people.  A group of young people and I went to the BBC as part of a live programme.

My next step was setting up a new museum in Romford.  Havering Museum was the result of public campaigning for a museum, and I came in as Curator to pull the final strands together.  I worked with more amazing volunteers and staff to put the museum on the local map. 

My love for museums then took me to the Southwest and I became a Museums Development Officer for Bath, Swindon, and parts of Somerset.  I worked with over 25 accredited museums providing advice and support on a range of areas.

After six years I moved to Nottingham to become a Relationship Manager for Museums.  I work with a range of museums and services as part of the National Portfolio.  I work with Museum Development East Midlands and am part of their board.  Through the different grant programmes, I work with a range of museums providing advice on their projects.

2. Before working at Culture Syndicates what was the most unusual or interesting job you have ever had?

It is difficult to say about the most interesting job as all have been amazing, in terms of the people I worked with as well as the collections.  I would say my niche is working with people to problem solve and the Museum Development Officer post reflects this.  From 2011 to 2018 I worked across Bath, Swindon and Somerset providing support around the Museum Accreditation standard.  I became part of different museum teams by default and enjoyed conversations at museums or in local cafes over a coffee and a piece of cake.  I find cake is a good source of inspiration!  Museum Development is an incredible source of information, training, guidance, and funding for accredited museums.  I am an advocate of the value of this provision which is predominately funded by Arts Council England.

3. What is your role at Culture Syndicates? – and what aspect of your role do you enjoy the most?

My role at Culture Syndicates as of 13 September 2021 will be Head of Workforce Inclusion.  This is a new role which has emerged through the work by the team by securing Culture Recovery Fund grants to look at how Culture Syndicates continues to move forward in a sustainable and relevant way for new sector entrants and the wider cultural sector.  Since 2003 I have been a mentor for the Museums Association's Associateship programme and in 2011, I gained diplomas in Personal Performance Coaching and Neuro-Linguistic Programming.  Mentoring and coaching are at the heart of professional development.  Working with people to help explore the options and way forward to achieve career goals.  As Head of Workforce Inclusion, I will embed these principles in every aspect of my role. I have already met virtually the Heritage Assistants who are an incredible group with a wide range of skills, experiences and so much commitment.   I will work with them on developing a sector focused development programme to embed and enrich career development for our current Heritage Assistants and those who will join the team in the future.  

4. What does a typical day look like for you?

A typical working day currently is a combination of meetings with colleagues at Arts Council, and organisations I work with through our National Portfolio.  I meet with museum professionals who are applying for Project Grant funding and to share information on the work of Arts Council.  I also carry out appraisals for Project Grants and sit on Project Grant decision making panels.  As well as working with museums I find out and work with other arts forms including dance, theatre, and music.  I also work with a Museums and Schools programme in Lincolnshire which is really exciting and monitor other funded programmes such as Transforming Leadership, Derby Museums secured funding for a diverse leadership programme which is really inspirational.  Other programmes I monitor include the Designation Development Fund and Thriving Communities, which is focusing on well-being.  Every day is different in terms of the people and conversations I have. 

5. What is on your wish list for the next few years with Culture Syndicates?

My hopes for Culture Syndicates are for it to be the go-to organisation for new sector entrants to engage with on their career journey.   I will be working with Heritage Assistants and the team to explore new ways of working.  I want Culture Syndicates to link people currently working in the cultural sector with new entrants, establishing a robust mentoring and coaching model along with other training and development resources.  I have international ambitions for workforce development, and I believe Culture Syndicates is at the centre of this.

6. What are your hopes for our industry?

My hope for the industry is for fair, inclusive, and equitable opportunities for anyone wishing to be part of the sector.  There is a lot of work around inclusion and relevance, and we all need to be part of this.  The future is about the incredible mix of talent, commitment and enthusiasm which makes culture relevant for and by all.  The book 'The Art of Relevance' by Nina Simon is incredibly powerful to enable individuals and organisations re-imagine their approaches to inclusion by opening new doors.  I am inspired by the work of museums, of all sizes and collections.  Where we can embed the relevance of collections and culture is by inviting people to find the door and to open it and discover what is on the other side.  I believe Culture Syndicates is the go-to organisation to enable emerging professionals to find and open the doors for their career.  It is making dreams come true and ensuring we embrace the breadth of ideas, passion, and experience to continue to grow new and exciting approaches.   A quote which resonates is ' For the people, by the people'.  We can all make a difference if we know how.

 http://culturesyndicates.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe