Routes into Heritage: Lyndsay Thomson CS Freelance Heritage Assistant

 


1. What has your education and subsequent career path been?

I left secondary school in 1983, with a handful of O levels and CSEs. I continued my education at night school to gain further GCSEs and A levels as well as qualifications in typing and word-processing. Approximately 10 years ago I had a change in my personal circumstances and I re-entered education at the age of 45 to undertake a level 3 extended diploma in Art and Design, which lead to a BA in Contemporary art and design, and finally after a change in direction a Master’s in Public History and Heritage, at Derby University.

My working life has been varied. I started my career on a Youth Training Scheme (YTS); which led me to work as a clerk/secretary in a small Solicitors office, were I considered going to university to pursue a law degree and take my career further in this sector. Other careers I have pursued: include training as a pub manager, delivering hospitality at a racecourse and football arena, working in call centres and in busy reception areas and also in finance.

2. Why museums and heritage?

I have always had an interest in local history and heritage, as an adult I would spend my spare time visiting heritage sites and museums, and when I had children, I started to include them in this hobby; at this time of my life did not think I  would work within this sector. My career in heritage came around by ‘accident’, during my art degree I approached a local museum as a volunteer to help deploy craft and school educational workshops; this piqued my interest further in museums as I was now working ’behind the scenes’ and not just as a casual visitor to an historical site. Heritage and history started to creep into my art projects, and my career in museums started to develop, which led to me enrolling at Derby University on a Master’s degree.



 3. What is your current role like? What about it makes you want to get up in the morning?

My only role at the moment is a freelance Heritage Assistant with CS. Since the relaxing of lock down in May 2021, I have been involved in three projects.

The first project was at the National Football Museum in Manchester which involved returning football shirts after an exhibition, Strip!, to owners and lenders. It was a fulfilling project and enhanced my knowledge of working within a large collections department.




The second role was at Mrs Smith's cottage, in Lincolnshire, a small ‘time capsule’ cottage that had recently undergone some extensive refurbishments to the site. The role was to evaluate the audience who were attending a talk on archaeology, by a local speaker. For this role I enjoyed a speech on an interesting subject and learnt something about the area, as well as speaking to people face to face after the extensive closure of the site due to refurbishments and the long lockdown.





The third role is an audience evaluation, (user) at the Museum of Cambridge, a small museum housed in an old traveller's public house. This museum is a ‘Gem’, telling the story of the people of Cambridge and the Fens through everyday objects some unusual and some not so unusual: including beer bottles, early vacuum cleaners and beetle catchers!




I enjoy the variety of work that CS brings to my life and the experience of working on different projects and experiencing different museums and their working practices. When you answer the email, with ‘yes, I am available those dates’, a new adventure begins … and with that more experience to add to your CV. 

4. What does an average week look like for you?

Over the last month I cannot say that I have had an average week! As lots of things have been happening:

For example, last week: w/c 26th July

Monday: started with an email followed up from the week before that I have had permission, from the local council to start a series of ‘Summer Schools Out’ events in the local parks, for a local children’s charity I am a Trustee for, with the first one scheduled for the following day! Which was impossible to full fill as the charity was also awaiting funding from the District Council which was still being processed. The next few days was a scramble to plan, advertise, and gather resources to start the following week, 3rd August.



On the same day I attending the first of a series of workshops with CS about planning for the possibility of our own networking sessions.

Tuesday/Wednesday was spent cleaning and attending meetings regarding the setting up of a new meeting space, for an inclusive group, for which I am the Treasurer.

On Wednesday evening there was a members’ meeting. The Members enjoyed a chilli and made masks.



Thursday was another meeting, talking to a possible speaker to talk at the next HA network zoom meeting.

Friday, travelling on the train to Cambridge to work on the evaluation project, as well catching up on emails.



Saturday, I returned to the museum in Cambridge but this time I drove.

Sunday, research for the CS project.

5. What are the biggest challenges? What are the compromises in a museum and heritage career?

One of the biggest challenges I have faced is finding a suitable sector entry permanent position within a reasonable travelling distance of my home, DE11, which would be sustainable in the long term, many of the jobs advertised in more recent months are in areas that are only accessible via car, so public transport which is sometimes more reasonably priced is not an option. 

I personally feel that the compromise for a museum and heritage career is job security and remuneration: post Covid - 19 many jobs are on fixed term contacts; also, the remuneration offered for some sector entry positions is not in line with the ‘niche’ skills and qualifications that the job descriptions describe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe