Moving On: Emma’s New Job

 



After working as a Resilience Syndicate Intern for nearly a year, my time at Culture Syndicates has come to an end and I am looking forward to starting my new job.

Since starting in November 2016, I have learnt so much at CS and at the British Horological Institute (BHI) Museum. The Resilience Syndicate internship has given me skills in museum documentation, collection care and management, audience engagement and project work. It has also allowed me to work alongside and learn from some very talented professionals within the sector.  I have travelled all over the country participating in training and conferences, including, the Group for Education in Museums (GEM) Conference in Hull in September and the Care of Archives and Ephemera Collections training at RAF Cranwell in May.

When I started my role, I was mainly interested in working with museum collections. I was very excited therefore to have the opportunity to help care for and document the collection at the BHI Museum. Whilst I have enjoyed this aspect of my role and still intend to pursue a career ‘behind the scenes’ of a museum, one of the most rewarding aspects of this job has been audience engagement work. This was a joint project with the other interns at the Poppy Fields residential site. Using Mansfield Museum’s handling collection with elderly people, many of whom were living with dementia, was very rewarding.

Working with the collection at the BHI, I have been updating hundreds of Modes object records before I leave. Recently, us interns have been working towards piloting a touring exhibition at the BHI on the theme of decorative arts. It will hopefully lead on to a viability study for a touring exhibitions consortium in the East Midlands region.

 

Unfortunately, I am leaving before our work on the touring exhibition reaches fruition, but I am also really excited to begin my new job as a Documentation Assistant at the Imperial War Museum in London. I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone at CS and the BHI – especially my fellow interns who I have loved working with – for making my time in Nottingham so enjoyable and educational. I know that I would not be where I am now without the experience that I have gained as an RS Intern.

By Emma Raymond, Resilience Syndicate Intern

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe