Moving On: Ellie’s New Job!

 



What a Fantastic 7 Months

After working as a Resilience Syndicate Intern at Culture Syndicates and a Collections and Interpretation Intern at Rutland County Museum for the last 7 months, I am (very) unfortunately leaving!

This is definitely a bittersweet moment for me. The museum industry is very competitive – particularly for jobs involving collections. Since it took me quite a long time to get a job last year, I thought the same would be true for this year.

What I did not expect was to get 2 interviews from what was nearly the first jobs I applied for and I did not expect to be offered a job at a national museum.


What I’ve learnt:

This internship has been so valuable in getting me equipped for the industry. I’ve been lucky to attend a plethora of conferences – from Ironbridge’s ‘Breaking Boundaries’ where I was inspired to think about diversity in the sector, to the East Midlands Heritage Conference where I gained an insight into funding, to a collections symposium where I learnt all about integrated pest management (making us all feel a tad queasy before lunch).

I’ve also been on some really interesting courses such as: a human osteology short course at University of Sheffield, and historic textile conservation at Burghley House. Yes I now know the carpet beetle from the larder beetle, how to age a skeleton, and how to make textile packing ‘sausages’!

Being with 5 other interns on the same journey has been incredibly useful and fun. I really am going to miss them all and the memories will last a lifetime. I look forward to following all of their museum journeys and perhaps one day our paths will cross again.

My New Position:

My new position is a Collections Assistant at the RAF Museum in London (Hendon). It’s a very exciting time for me to start there, as they’ve secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to celebrate and commemorate the RAF’s centenary.

New, innovative, people-focused exhibitions will be created, along with a new visitor centre. More diverse audiences will enjoy richer engagement with the RAF’s history. I cannot wait to begin!

I’m about to start this exciting new chapter of my career, but if it wasn’t for all of the opportunities offered to me by Culture Syndicates and Rutland County Museum, I don’t think I’d be where I am now.

By Ellie Cooper, Resilience Syndicate Intern at Rutland County Museum

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

Running Up That Hill by Claire Roe