Ellie at Rutland

 



As part of the Resilience Syndicate project, our interns will spend half of their time within a museum setting. Ellie has begun her role as a Collections and Interpretation Intern with Rutland County Museum and this is what she will be up to:

“Having completed a MSc in Palaeoanthropology and Palaeolithic Archaeology, I am enthused by prehistory and cannot wait to get involved with Rutland’s vast archaeology.

During my time here, I will help to complete a collections review which will ensure that all items held in the museum are relevant to the museum and users. This will include:

•Confirming the location of each item within museum (behind the scenes)
•Ensuring each item has an up-to-date description
•Compiling a list of priorities for conservation

I will also be contributing to the design and content of new exhibition banners in the Old Riding School which will explore specific Rutland history (e.g. The Battle of Empingham) – something the museum has just been granted funding for by Arts Council England and Museum Development East Midlands.

So far, the most enigmatic object I’ve found is a dorsal fin spine of a c.160 million year extinct shark (Asteracanthus ornatissimus):


 

Though fascinating, I can’t quite seem to escape from my ice age interests (my passion for museums began in one that revolved around Ice Age topics): the museum exhibits several mammoth fossils, one being a tooth. I like to imagine c.14 foot mammoths in Rutland. I’m still dumbfounded by the size of mammoth teeth – they grew 5-6 sets in their lifetime!

I hope my contribution will make a difference: In completing these duties it is hoped that the museum will contain more meaningful collections – enabling Rutland’s history to be available and accessible to current and future visitors.

By Ellie Cooper, Resilience Syndicate Intern at Rutland County Museum

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Jane Seaman, Projects and Evaluation Officer

Introducing: Yanqiu Autumn Dai, Strategic Advisor to the Culture Syndicates Board

April Reading List